While I was waiting for the glue to dry after final assembly of the Land Raider Crusader hull, I happened to come across a drop pod on my shelf that was partial painted blue. I had already assembled a majority of the kit, at least to the point where I could paint it in sub-assemblies before completely assembling it. It dawned on me that I should use it as a full scale weathering experiment before I finished the Land Raider (it doesn't help that I also have a bad case of hobby ADD). This model also harkens back to my beginnings in the hobby and it was obvious I didn't really know what I was doing then, considering all the mold lines that were left on it and the bad glue job. Some of the pieces were painted ultramarine blue so I decided just to paint over them seeing as how the entire model was going to be heavily weathered. Here are a few WIP pictures:
Tuesday, February 25, 2014
Tuesday, February 18, 2014
Land Raider: WIP
I've been on nights this week so my time to work on this model has been shorter than I like, but I did manage to finish the twin-linked assault cannon today before I went to work.
The cannon was primed with Vallejo Surface Primer Black and then give a coat of P3 Pig Iron with an airbrush. Though not visible from these pictures, shadows on the cannon were painted using thin coats of VMA Burnt Umber and VMA Black for the darkest shadow. Scratches and edge highlights were made with GW Mithiril Silver and the cannon body was given a pin wash of Secret Weapon Miniatures Armor Wash. The barrels were given the heat-distressed look using the method described by Ron of From the Warp blog fame.
Monday, February 17, 2014
Land Raider WIP: Weathering expirement
It was primed with Vallejo Surface Primer Grey then given an base coat of VMA Hull Red with an airbrush. I then added spots of VMA Rust and VMA Italian Red, also with an airbrush. I sponged on some GW Blazing Orange and VMA Camo Black Brown. To bring shift colors closer to an oxide rust and to kill the intensity of the orange chips, I used Vallejo Model Wash Rust sprayed through the airbrush as a filter. After everything was dried, I sealed the paint with a couple of coats of Liquitex Matte Varnish. When the varnish was dried, I applied three coats of Heavy Chipping Fluid from AK Interactive. If works similar the tried-and-true "hairspray technique" that AFV modelers have been using for years, with the benefit of not smelling like hairspray. After the chipping fluid was dry, I proceeded to work on the green using my normal method for Raptors, which is RMS Olive Shadow, RMS Olive Drab, and RMS Worn Olive for the shadow, base color, and highlight respectively. When that was completed, I got down to the chipping. Using and old brush, clean water, and a modeling tool, I went to town on the weathering. Using the brush with clean water, you lightly humidify the top coat of paint so that the water seeps down to the chipping fluid. After a couple seconds, you can use the brush (or a toothpick or modeling tool) to scrape away the top layers of paint, exposing the "rust" layer below. After everything was dry, I sealed the entire piece with a couple of coats of matte varnish.
Saturday, February 15, 2014
Work in Progress: Land Raider Crusader
I completed the interior details for my Land Raider Crusader. Now of course when I assemble the tank and close the hatches, most of what I've done won't be seen, but I will know it is there so I can rest easy.
Thursday, February 13, 2014
Showcase: Raptors Devastator Centurion
Here is a Devastator Centurion from the Raptors space marine chapter and is my first completed miniature in almost a year. I tried some OSL (which is something I don't typically do) on the grav cannon and while I'm not completely sold on it, I think it looks passable. I'm not overly fond of the base either, but I think it will do for now. I have started working on a Land Raider Crusader that these fellas can ride around in.
Saturday, February 1, 2014
Showcase: Raptors Chapter Tactical Marines
Here are a few Raptors marines that I painted up. They were primed black with Vallejo Surface Primer and I then used Reaper Master Series Olive Shadow, Olive Drab, and Worn Olive for for the base color, highlight, and second highlight respectfully. I tried to get a little creative with the urban battlefield basing and I think I succeeded.
Subscribe to: Posts (Atom)