Saturday, May 28, 2016

WIP: Bandai 1/72 X-wing, Red 5

I was commissioned to build another Red 5 X-wing from a fellow in Toronto. I'm pretty much recreating my previous build of this model, but I'm making a few minor changes. I went with a few different colors on a couple of the panels and relied more on chipping fluid instead of masking fluid to weather the colored panels. I did a two-tone red for all of the red markings as well, just to add a little more depth. The canopy frame actually has three layers of chipping because the original color was lighter than what my client wanted so I used that as an opportunity to add some more weathering to it.
After all of the panels were painted, I lightly sanded the model to give the panels a little more wear and then gave the model a dusting of the off-white base color to tone down the panels further. After I gave the model a coat of Future and allowed it to dry overnight, I gave everything a gunk wash with 502 Abteilung Starship Filth. With that done, the model has to dry for about a week before sealing everything with a matte varnish.

Thursday, May 26, 2016

Showcase: Bandai "Vehicle Model" Star Destroyer

Bandai "Vehicle Model" Star Destroyer; finished in Tamiya acrylics, 502 Abteilung oils, and MIG Productions enamels.

Wednesday, May 25, 2016

WIP: Bandai "Vehicle Model" Star Destroyer

I had some stuff drying so I threw this little Bandai Star Destroyer together and gave it a quick paint job. This model kit is part of their new "Vehicle Collection" which is similar to their Mecha Collection for the Star Blazers anime. They're essentially small box scale models that only cost a few dollars and a simple to build. This model is a little bit over 4-1/2" long.

I primed the model black and then gave it a coat of Tamiya Flat White darkened with a little Light Grey. After that, I cut a bunch of tiny pieces of masking tape to a simple "Aztec pattern" on the hull. Then I lightened the original base color with more white and sprayed the ship. After I pulled the tape off, I felt that the panels were a little too dark so I dusted them with the base color to tone them down a bit. I have a coat of Future drying on it now and then I will give it a light wash to bring out the details. The wash has to be light because if it's too heavy handed, it will throw off the sense of scale. Then I'll matte coat it and pick out some small details with a brush