Sunday, February 26, 2017

WIP: Takom Medium Mk.A "Whippet" (1/35 scale), Part 3

Picking up where we left off on the last post, I move on to more identification painting and then weathering on the Whippet.

With all of the markings done, I moved on to the next step in weathering: dark chipping. This is mainly done on edges and other places that might receive wear and tear, like near the crew hatch on the rear of the tank. It's kept relatively subdued because it's easy to overdo, which would not be as realistic. Once filters, washes, mud, and pigments are added, it will be even less obvious.
I also used this time to paint the tracks. These were primed black, painted with a 1:1 mix of Tamiya Hull Red (XF-9) and Red Brown (XF-64), and then stippled with various rusty colors. More weathering (dirt, mud, and metallic effects) will be added when they're on the tank.
I applied the three decals, which went on okay with a little coaxing and MicroSet/Sol, on the fighting compartment and started the pin wash on the side skirts. The pin wash, using MIG Dark Wash enamel, gives everything a nice bit of depth. The whole thing is still a little too green, so it will get some ochre and brown filters applied to tone it down a little. All the ubiquitous WWI mud help with that, too.
I sealed the wash with a satin coat of Future and began some rendering using oils. I deepened some of the dark green areas and applied brown filters over most of the tank. The effect is subtle, but I think it helps tie everything together.
After the oils dried, I gave the model some light streaking with MIG Streaking Grime which I tried to leave as light as possible. It should fade even more after the mud and dust is applied. It's a pleasant effect that really helps sell the idea that is a well-worn vehicle of war.
With nearly all of the paint work complete, I decided to finish up the exhaust. They were previously basecoated with a ruddy brown made from some Vallejo paints. I then applied some thinned Vallejo matte medium to which a couple of different rusty pigments were stippled on. Adding the pigments this way really helps make the pipe look rusted as natural rust has various textures on it. Combined with the asbestos wrap, which was painted khaki, it really looks realistic.
It was finally time to start adding the mud. I was actually pretty apprehensive about this because I know it's easy to overdo it and potentially ruin all of my work thus far. I picked up the MIG Europe Earth enamel/pigment set to help with this task. To make the mud, I combined some plaster, pigments, enamel earth effects, and some dirt from the flowerbed in front of my house and applied it heavily along the mud chutes anywhere else I thought mud would accumulate. After it dried, I mixed a similar slurry, albeit slightly lighter, and applied it sparing around the model to add a little bit of depth to the mud. I'm not completely happy with it, but I think it will do for the time being. I'll probably add some more straight pigment attached with binder in various places as well.

The only thing left to do touch up and weather the tracks and add the final touches to the model. I plan to have it completed before my IMPS club meeting on March 1st!

No comments:

Post a Comment